Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hands and Feet

This week, I have had the opportunity to witness God do some amazing things! Just so you understand where I am coming from, I spend a lot of my free time serving at my church (shocker, I know!). I serve in several ministries so that I may learn what it takes to be a leader of the church, I can connect with others, and I can help expand God's kingdom. Just this past weekend, while I was serving at my church store, I witnessed one of my pastors speak life back into a woman who was going through very difficult times with her family! I was also able to talk to and connect with other Christian leaders who were able to provide me with so much wisdom. I felt truly blessed! The main thing I want to talk about however is something that happened to me one night on my way home from church. I was driving late Thursday night and having all sorts of revelations go through my mind to the point of tears. Then, I saw a girl walking down the street who looked exactly like my sister. I thought about asking her if she could use a ride but instead, I text my sister to see if she was ok. Suddenly, something inside me told me, "What are you doing wasting your time texting your sister when you could be helping that girl?!" I tried to reason with the voice at first by saying something like "Well, I don't know that girl. what if she is crazy or something?" When I got home, I could not shake the image of the girl from my mind. She was all I could think about. I prayed that God would take care of her and forgive my disobedience to act. Today, my father and I were driving home in the pouring rain and we saw two teenaged girls walking down the street carrying boxes. No umbrellas, no rain coats, no rain boots, nothing! Instantly, the image of the girl from the other night popped into my head. Again, I tried to reason with myself, but I decided I was not going to miss the opportunity to serve a second time! I looked at my father and said, "I feel bad for those girls walking in the rain". He turned to me and replied, "Well, what do you want me to do, pick them up?" "Well, yeah". Naturally, my dad looked confused. Many years of being a police officer told him that it was a bad idea! We didn't even make it down the street before my dad said, "You know what, I feel bad too. Let's turn around and ask them if they want a ride". Words cannot even express how happy I was! The girls of course were naturally hesitant getting into a stranger's car, but they were in shock that we even asked! Even though it was raining, I knew we brightened their day! It just so happens that one of my scriptures to read for the night was Matthew 25:35-40, which states, "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me" (ESV). This scripture always touches my heart because Jesus knew the world was (and still is) filled with people who are hungry, thirsty, poor, sick, hurting, lost, and broken. This is why its so important to get involved in helping your community and be the "hands and feet" of Jesus! It's our job to help as many people as we can while we still can! We are walking representations of Christ's love that lives inside us for all the world to see! Through Him, we can help change lives and show people the hope and love they have been looking for! Whether it is a simple gesture or speaking light into someone's darkness, always remember that you can be a solution to someone else's problem! You may not be able to change the world overnight, but it has to start somewhere, so let it start with you! Stay Strong! "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:12 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment